Random Pirate Comics: The Blog

Blog of Jonah (aka spambot) of RandomPirateComics.com

Monday, August 21, 2006

Hitchhiking the Galaxy

In preparation to writing issue 3, I have re-read the entire Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (all 5 finished books and one short story) for the first time since high school. It was one of those series that I was always going to re-read, but I just hadn’t gotten around to it.

I was happy to find that I enjoyed them even more now than I did then, especially once you get to “Life, the Universe, and Everything”, where the storyline really starts to diverge from the radio drama, the show, the movie, etc. I also remember not liking “So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish” the first time around, but after re-reading it, I see that I was an idiot. That actually ended up being one of my favorites this time. I really liked that Arthur Dent finally had something in his life go right for a change after all that time, and it is very frustrating that things go so horribly wrong for him again in “Mostly Harmless”, but I guess the character just has that kind of life.

 

I’ve had “The Salmon of Doubt” in my possession since it came out, and when I first bought it I read most of the articles in the front of the book, but never got around to reading the final, unfinished Hitchhiker’s book. I decided now is the best time, since the old ones are fresh in mind. I’m interested to see what Adams had been working on. All I really know about the story is that it has Dirk Gently in it, and from what I’ve read about the story, Adams went back and forth several times as to weather or not the new book was going to be a Gently or a Hitchhiker’s book.

 

But I digress…

 

For anyone who has been reading “Here There Be Robots”, you have probably noticed that both Jeremy and I have been heavily influenced by Adams’ writing.  He was really the epitome of the genre we’re working in, and we have tried to pay him tribute in our comic without lifting anything directly from his books. If you are a person who enjoys things that are well written and witty, you should definitely go pick yourself up this series. You can usually find all the books in one big volume for really cheap or at your local library. They have all kinds of crazy books there.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home